Institute of Agroecology and Soil
Institute of Agroecology and Soil of the Faculty of Agriculture, University in Banja Luka, was founded in 2003 and is focused on scientific and technical projects, education of students of the first, second and third cycle studies, as well as on economic cooperation.
Activities of the Institute:
- Basic, development and applied research in the areas of: agroecology, soil science, plants and environmental protection, checking of the condition and fertility of arable land and the amount of input of mineral fertilizers and pesticides in the soil, plant nutrition, identification of hazardous and harmful substances in soil and irrigation water, checking of quality of fertilizers, soil enhancers and water for agricultural irrigation, design of anti-erosion measures, cadastral classification, quality evaluation and categorization of land, land rehabilitation and remedial project designs, project development measures for agricultural and other land reclamation by melioration, construction projects for agricultural land commasation, establishment and implementation of a Land Information System (LIS), preparation of agricultural land usage programs, supervision, implementation and revision of programs, projects and plans in the field of agroecology and soil;
- Transfer of scientific and technical knowledge in the field of agroecology and soil into practical application;
- Issuing attests and certificates in the field of agroecology and soil;
- Development of plans and practical solutions in the field of agroecology and soil;
- Publishing and educational activities (publications, planning and implementation of formal and informal education of students and other persons);
- Consulting, marketing and engineering in the field of agroecology and soil;
- Creating basis for protection, development and use of agricultural land;
- Development, revision and implementation of scientific research, development and applied projects and studies in the field of agroecology and soil;
- Activities related to the organization, implementation monitoring and execution tasks in combating harmful organisms applying: disinfection, pest and rodent control, decontamination and application of other treatment procedures on agricultural and forest land, buildings and water management facilities;
- Testing of plants protection products, active substances and basic substances in the registration process;
- Evaluation of plants protection products, active substances and basic substances in the registration process;
- Monitoring of residues of plants protection means in food, animal feed and the environment;
- Scientific and technical support for decision-making in the process of registration of plants protection products and establishing the maximum allowable amounts of residues;
- Laboratory tests on samples of plants protection products taken in the process of inspection to verify their chemical and physical properties;
- Applied and other research in the field of plants protection products;
- Development, implementation and application of new procedures in good practice in plants protection and good agricultural practices;
- Introduction of international standards in testing of the efficiency of pesticides;
- Professional training of persons responsible for storage, distribution and use of plants protection products and application devices;
- Recording of consumption, use of plants protection products and their residual quantities;
- Risk assessment of plants protection products and biocides;
- Mapping of invasive species, risk assessment and proposed measures to prevent their spreading;
- Laboratory analyses and testing of plants, plant products and relevant objects, to determine presence and to identify insect pests, as well as the intensity of their presence;
- Forecasts of the occurrence of harmful insects, development and movements of their populations, and determining optimal timeframes for their suppression;
- Applied and other research in the field of diagnostics of harmful organisms and plants protection.
The above quoted activities are carried out in relevant laboratories and experimental sites:
- Laboratory for Pedology, Irrigation and Plants Nutrition,
- Laboratory for Ecotoxicology and Pesticides Analytics,
- Plastic Greenhouse for Biotest
Institute of Agroecology and Soil develops land recultivation (and remediation) projects, in accordance with the Agricultural Land Act and other laws of the Republic of Srpska in the field of spatial planning, mining and environmental protection. Within the framework of projects for land reclamation, activities of the Institute are focused on the conceptual design of recultivation, construction projects and implementation of procedures for recultivation of physically and chemically damaged land, or the study of processes for rehabilitation of open pit mineral mines, tailing ponds, ash, slag and flotation materials landfills; reclamation of municipal waste landfills, applying own and foreign experience in solving land reclamation problems.
Testing of biological efficiency of pesticides and provision of scientific and technical support in the process of registration of plant protection products
In the Laboratory for ecotoxicology and pesticide analytics, we are offering the following services related to applied research in the field of plants protection products, as well as scientific and technical support for decision-making in the process of registration of plants protection products:
- Appraisal of biological efficiency of plants protection products;
- Biological testing to determine the persistence of phytotoxicity of plants protection products;
- Preparation of experts’ opinion based on analysis of plants protection product documentation;
- Preparation of experts’ opinion based on analysis of documentation on biocide;
- Preparation of experts’ opinion based on analysis of documents from the European Union related to plants protection products;
- Preparation of experts’ opinion based on analysis of documents from the European Union on biocide;
- Making Labels and Instructions for Use of plants protection and biocide means;
- Making Safety and Technical Manuals for plants protection or biocide means.
Laboratory for Ecotoxicology and Pesticide Analyses
Laboratory for Ecotoxicology and analysis of pesticides was established in 2009.
The basic research program of this laboratory includes morpho-physiological reactions of plants in the interaction of biological activity, persistence, mobility and phytotoxicity of pesticides, as well as various phenomena of resistance and pesticide residues in agricultural products. Research of particular importance in the laboratory is related to testing of biological efficiency of pesticides and pesticide residues. Laboratory research techniques are based on the equipment for biological testing and liquid mass chromatograph.
Head of Laboratory: Doc. dr Siniša Mitrić
Laboratory of Pedology, Irrigation and Plants Nutrition
This laboratory, with its technical equipment and personnel, is able to perform a wide spectrum of basic, applied and development research in the areas of soil science, land reclamation, erosion and soil conservation, exploring the quality of fertilizers and soil enhancers, and plants nutrition. In addition to the research program, since 2004 and pursuant to the Decision of the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Management of the Republic of Srpska, this Laboratory offers services in the field of checking the parameters of soil fertility and quality testing of mineral fertilizers in terms of the content of macroelements (N, P, K, Ca) and nitrogen in the form of NO3 + and NH4 +. The testing services related to soil fertility and determination of fertilization norms have been carried out for over 2500 farmers so far. Laboratory research techniques are based on the equipment that includes sprectrofotometer, flame-photometer, Kjeldahl digestion unit and pH-meters.
Also, the students are actively participating in the laboratory work within educational, practical and research activities as well as for the needs of final and graduate works preparation.
Head of Laboratory: Prof. dr Mihajlo Markovic
Bioassay greenhouse is of metal structure, covered with PE foil and shading mesh. The usable area of this greenhouse is about 120m² with quite a number of work tables. Ventilation is provided through lateral openings. Bioassay greenhouse is intended for students of I and II cycle studies for preparation of their final works in the first and second cycle, as well as for projects in the following fields of research: the minimum lethal dose of herbicides, bioassay method (measuring the response of the plant or other biological organism to the toxic effects of pesticides), phytotoxicity of pesticides on cultivated plants, testing the effectiveness of pesticides and other agricultural research activities.
Head of Laboratory: Biljana Kelečević
Head of the institute
Prof. dr Zlatan Kovačević
Tel: + 387 51 330-916
E- mail: email@example.com